Long Run Planning and Development Committee MARCH 7 MEETING MINUTES Wisconsin Indianhead Technical College Ashland, Wisconsin

Discussion of existing grant possibilities from Learn and Serve America

Paul provides summary of grant issues to date;

What are the constraints?

MOVE TO OTHER ROOM

IN ATTENDANCE:

Barb .. discussing current learn and serve grant and how computer project can build upon that;

Mike Bark .. familiar, has been involved on committee for three or four years

Mike Bark - initial LS funds provided initiative to collaborate with other campus communities

Bruce

Barb

Kim

WITC interested in getting proposal together to expand and connect these various elements, formalize it.

Jan

Bruce

-we have goal statements; need for funding for

Kim

Jan

-need curriculum development dollars, too

Kent

Bruce

Jan

Bruce

Paul

Jan

Kim

Enterprise Center was interested in this because of possibility of working together between students and businesses

Bruce

Jan

Bruce

Mike G

Kim

Janw

Bruce

Jan

Bruce

Kim

Jan

Mike Bark

Barb

Jan

Kim$

Mike

Paul

Mike G-

Andy

Mike B

Bruce

Kim

Annie

Bruce

Kim

Jan

Kim

Paul

Bruce

Paul

Bruce: if we make strong progress on our tasks in next week, then we…

Kim: issue is whether WITC can be involved in administration

Bruce: are we able to pull enough together to convince WITC that we have a viable project?

Kim: Mike, this is partially in your lap; is this a priority to WITC to justify doing this in next few weeks

Jan; as you said earlier, we could take a look at your draft and decide how we can fit it; the door is still open, would like to see what you'd develop

Kent: list of questions of what you'd require?

Jan: what's our role? Things we're already doing that could serve as in-kind; must be ways we can collaborate.

Rachel: do you want list on paper?

Kent: yes, a simple list of what you need in order to make your decision

Mike B.: send it to Bruce or Kent

Jan: the more we're in the loop the better; we can keep eyes open for other potential sources of funds.

Rachel: I'll be a reader on your draft material

Bruce: will contact John Chara; have grant writer at CEP

Mike: CEP has documentation on larger needs; lots of needs can be met; sum total is a process that feed short and long term goals; this is an evolved proposal they're asking for

Kim: WITC developed SL and a curriculum; they may have a sense of how you assess that element in the curriculum; what elements of our curriculum are we meeting; for K-12, how are we meeting state standards; also community service

Annie: after school funding email; made an inquiry; computer club and after school programs;

Kent: Wayne said a survey at Red Cliff was done with some level of need assessment.

Rachel: he'd share that;

Kim: some justification of high school student involvement based on regional assessment of tech needs for employment potential development; enhanced by giving new workers new skills; CEP fits with that, as well as rural development; question for Econ Dvlopt; did BCEDC assess workforce tech capacity

Net Crawl and GAGE surveys; data for laptop project; trying to get people to take; teachers; Andrea Propoerkinski at CESA 12; working under teach grant funding; Andrea is a great teacher and grant writer;

Bruce: should have some conversations about that; it's a model

Annie: Sharon Stuart is another CESA grant writer; also Ken Kasinski;

Kent ; should collate needs assessment data; send me your map or flowchart of how all the components might work; I will make them web accessible; diagramming is an alternative to narrative description

Paul will send draft flowchart

Mike G: we never articulated our mission; we shape shift for every grant

Kim: rural development aspect; Mark Scribner from CenturyTel; anyone talk to him?

Kent; no; Bruce thought it would be appropriate to involve him at the Enterprise Center

Kathy: didn't Wayne G. get group together who have email access for soldiers?

Kent: we'll provide him with email machines; will provide 6 computers; Wayne Griffiths donating his time;

Andy: HSI can offer free email account;

Kim: Local ISP provides access; contribute that since it's to their benefit; when you have schools involved, Badgernet…cost is connected with amount of access; for SL projects, cost of lines is lower to community; going to local provider would be the place to begin rather than deal through educational access.

Kent: Wayne has all that squared away; I'll get a better, more formal description.

Kathy: maybe several of us could meet and get it clear with students regarding needs.

Kim: when tech center was built, was there assessment of needs done?

Kent: lots of different needs assessments

Kim: what's Northland's involvement despite fact we can't submit proposal; through students like John Beyer, connection with college's work study program; could be something I'd advocate for

Bruce: we should build off model with Andy's involvement; provide leadership, acquired skills, helped HS students develop their own skills; consider a cascading effect where higher ed provides leadership; other important dimension is outreach to various groups like senior citizens; outreach to nursing homes; need for focus; another group is 25-50 year old underemployed; they can contribute to our workforce if they had access to technology and training; the students could contribute to that;

Paul: Rural Business Enterprise Grant a possibility; can't hurt to apply, its relatively easy

Kent: Carlos L. does layout; offering to teach desktop publishing for free; Eric Sharp and he are working together on workshops that involve writing and publishing lessons;

Annie: keeping track of in kind hours spent? Should do it retroactively.

Bruce: need to digitize record keeping

Mike G: should have a meeting with Frank Kempf to update him; his board has been pleased thus far; very organized at the Enterprise Center;

Kathy: involve Fred Schnook in that meeting; another funding idea is the city, as a recycling project. Fred is in CEP and the City; meet next week? [NOTE; RURAL DEVELOPMENT RBEG AND RBOG GRANTS CAN BE MADE TO PUBLIC BODIES IN ADDITION TO NONPROFIT ECON DVLOPT ORG'S pvr]?

Mike G.: we haven't fleshed out needs in Red Cliff community; we should do more homework on that too

Kim: on community Based grant; would Red Cliff we a good place to focus that?

Rachel: willing to do more with this project; need info on what you'd need to gather re: demographics; also will make the connection with Bad River and/or LCO through Wayne; would like to be tribal pivot person

Kathy: state money?

Rachel: TANF money; welfare to work possibilities; seems very applicable

Mike: community work experience was amazing; powerful value in that;

Bruce: also Duluth group called Lifecyclers. Electronic recycling services, but also televisions, etc. Might be an element there.

Mike B. volunteers to gather assessment info on tech center

Kim: each grant has different budget structure; need to identify in-kind match;

Rachel: come up with project cost, then figure out what's in kind etc.

Mike B. dollars that Jan referred to are solid, but there's competition for them

Kathy: talk to Obey? Kim: after we know what we're asking for Andy: how start with budget plan Bruce: start with a series of guesses;

Mike G: scenario plans or work backwards from amount you can ask for; usual deal killer is indirect costs, which is only 5% in this grant; many institutions can't live with that;

Kathy; in asking for wages for staff, fringe benefits;

Mike B.; surprised the group hasn't created a business plan; there could be dollars available for that; could pull everything together to leverage the dollars; [NOTE RURAL DEVELOPMENT'S RBOG COULD POSSIBLY BE USED FOR BUSINESS PLANNING IF SOME PORTION OF PROJECT WILL BE FOR-PROFIT]?

Kent: what we're going to do next week is required research;

Bruce: I agree with Mike; we should have a tighter idea of customers, patrons, clients, operational costs, etc. but we're not there; we're really dealing with two components: Long Run Enterprise (business of dealing with this waste problem); then service learning; these two have come together with Andy;

Paul: start with vision and mission statement

Bruce: so many funding opportunities out there; need to focus on an overview; what's our goals, vision, mission; we can fit funding together after that;

Andy: need to get more rooted in the community; do things at the nursing home, with the veteran project; another option is computers in student lounge which are old and slow and clunky; could bring in a new server which would boot up through LINUX system;

Paul: BCEDC has need for computer equipment too